Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Tuesday - Day 57

I slept well again last night, waking easily with the alarm.  Progress!

The cinnamon rolls are really better warmed up.  I still ate one cold but heated some up later.  I started sourdough pretzels in the morning.  I'm sure I will eventually put the starter in the fridge but it's like a new toy - I want to play with it and make something new and delicious every day!  I am soooo grateful to Jess for sharing this.  I know she put a ton of work into learning how to make starter and many days (weeks) of care and work.

I covered the hay with a tarp yesterday to protect it from rain.  I always gingerly lift it and sheesh am I glad I did this morning!  It wasn't a snake, but it was evidence that a snake had been there.  From the shape of the head, I think I know what this was shed from. 


I have a big bag of pepper flakes that are supposed to deter snakes.  Once these rains stop, it's time to spread some out and hope it helps.

Luna is not doing so well so I kept her out of the goat parade to the pen so I could check her out, give her some loving, and give her some wormer.  Salsa and Lily have been picking on her lately and it pisses me off - she is the smallest and sweetest of the bunch.  When I put the goats into the pen, as usual Salsa went after Lily.  I closed the gate, looked up, and Lily was standing in a corner holding one leg up, not standing on it.  I gave her some time to see if she felt better after I took care of Luna, and she was standing normally when I got back.  Geez.  We all need to stop with the injuries!

I've been wearing gloves when handling the lead lines and that is helping with the issue with itching and raised red areas on my hand.  It doesn't really look like a "rash" but I don't know what it is.  The injury from Yellow biting me is slowly but surely healing.

The pretzels turned out really good!  I sent some to Jess this evening, along with some cinnamon rolls and other things.



When I headed out to do chores this evening and saw mama bird shoot out of the shed, I decided to check on the nest.  I try to do it every 2-3 days.  As I approached the doorway, I saw a tiny, white egg on the ground just inside the door.  It it hard to see from the photos I've taken so close up how small these are.  If you have ever had Cadbury mini eggs, they are just a little smaller than those.  Tiny.  I gently scooped up the egg and deposited it immediately into the nest.  I took a photo which showed 5 eggs, so that was the only one that slipped out somehow.

I howled alone tonight.  No cows.  No turkeys.  No neighbors.  Just beautiful pre-sunset sky in a cool evening with beautiful cloud formations.


I spent some time hanging out with Bex after dinner.  Later than I had expected but schedules are all messed up these days.

We are well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment