Monday, May 4, 2020

Monday - Day 49

I slept better again last night and woke up earlier than usual.  It got really cold last night and the vineyard fans were on when I got up at 5:30 a.m.

Day 49.  49ers.  I listened to a podcast yesterday - kind of half listened because my mind was preoccupied so I should probably listen again - about how COVID-19 has affected sports.  The person being interviewed wasn't sure there would be large-scale games anymore.  Or concerts.  It makes me wonder.  I mean, it's possible that this will change everything, but it didn't change after the flu epidemic in 1918/19.  Once that was done, everyone went on to bigger and bigger.  Maybe that's the problem?  Maybe we shouldn't have 50,000 in an arena.  It's interesting to think about.  But then again, I can't really say because I'm not thinking much about planning anything beyond tomorrow.

BTW, the podcast is called Telescope and is about different impacts of this COVID time.  The episodes are short and interesting.  It's helpful to see things from different perspectives.  Homeless.  Sober and trying to stay that way.  Running a business.  Or not.  Running a clinic in another country and getting stuck in the US and unable to help your staff, who only expected to run things for 3 weeks without you.  Being a comedian on lockdown.  Doing time.  There's more.  I recommend it.

After working a bit this morning, I decided to bake a new recipe called "Depression Cake."  It uses all pantry items, no dairy, no eggs, no milk, and is mixed in the pan you cook it in without the need to grease it.  Even the frosting was super easy.


We sampled it with a little coffee ice cream.


Recipe is at the bottom of this post.

After that and a little more work and mask making, I re-recorded a vocal track to replace one that had been problematic after I switched microphones.  The collaborative project is coming along.

I have three lead lines because the one that cut me has not yet been made safe to use.  So I leave one of the little goats to walk by itself.  This has usually worked out.  Except I left Luna loose tonight.  Almost to the barn, she decided to turn around.  So I brought all three goats back to herd her back to the barn.  I thought it would save time.  As I was linking Luna to Moonshine's lead, the big goats start to head butt Mooney all over the place, then Salsa goes to Lily and Lily walks around me and right onto my foot.  Of course, on the bare part exposed in the cheap pink Croc imitations I wear for chores in good weather because they're easy to slip on.  So I get all of them into the barn and doctor yet another goat-incurred scrape.  And it hurts.  Goat hooves on bare feet are no bueno.

And no, I'm not likely to change my choice of footwear.  Unless there's a Croc imitation that goes further up the foot.  It has to be easy and cool in the summer and washable and mostly protect my feet.  Definitely protect my toes.

The night was more of the same of the day.  A little music.  A little sewing.  A little television.  I am beginning to feel ADD.  I still just don't focus on any one thing for very long.  Unless I can get lost in it.  I think I spent two hours on a video project yesterday.  Or maybe it was the day before. LOL

Time to get some sleep and nurse this aching foot. 

We are still well and avoiding the crazies.  I hope you are too.




CRAZY WACKY DEPRESSION CAKE
prep time 10 MINS
cook time 30 MINS
total time 40 MINS

This vintage depression cake recipe (wacky cake recipe) is quick and easy to make with simple ingredients in 1 bowl! It has no butter, no milk, no eggs.
SERVINGS9 SLICES

INGREDIENTS
·         cups All-purpose flour
·        ¼ cup Cocoa powder
·        1 cup Granulated sugar
·        1 tsp Baking soda
·        ½ tsp Salt
·        1 tbsp White vinegar
·        1 tsp Vanilla extract
·        5 tbsp Vegetable oil
·        1 cup Water
Chocolate Frosting (Optional)
·        1/4 cup Milk Whole or 2%
·        1/3 cup Butter Unsalted
·        3 tbsp Cocoa powder
·        1 tsp Vanilla extract
·        2 1/2 - 3 cups Powdered sugar
INSTRUCTIONS
Cake
1.     In a square cake pan (Dimensions: 8x8- Ungreased), add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, salt and whisk everything together.  (You can use a 9" round pan though when you ice it, it will literally be at the top of the pan.)
2.     Use your finger to make 2 small holes and 1 large hole in this dry flour mixture. 
3.     Pour vinegar and vanilla extract in the small holes.
4.     Pour oil in the large hole.
5.     Pour water over everything. 
6.     Mix everything together until just combined. Don't worry if you have some lumps. Just don't over-mix or else you will end up with a rubbery cake. 
7.     Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until an toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Chocolate Frosting
1.     While the cake is cooling down, prepare the frosting: In a non-stick saucepan, add milk, butter and cocoa powder and mix until smooth. 
2.     Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
3.     Add powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) until smooth and creamy.  (I suggest 2 - 2 1/2 cups, which is plenty sweet and fudgy!) 
4.     Pour this frosting over your entire cake and let it set in the fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes. 
5.     Toss some sprinkles on top of the cake and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment