Monday, May 25, 2020

Sunday - Day 69 - Predators and Elixir

When I went to bed last night I felt nauseous enough to set up a barf bag next to the bed "just in case."  I fell asleep quickly, though, and slept eight hours, which was good.  I think it was the heat that was getting to me last night.

When I went to the chicken coop to replenish food and water and let them out for the day, I was surprised to see poop on top of the coop.  😠😠😠  An internet search shows me it could be either of our known predators in the area, bobcat or fox.  I'm having trouble with my camera showing things clearly at night and am still working on getting nighttime images of the coop.  This was impetus to work on that again.

While I was out this morning, I gathered some elder flowers.


The berries are beginning to form, so I wanted to nab some flowers before they were all gone.  I used them to start an elder flower lemon elixir.


The recipe also wants lemon verbena but I don't have any.  Yet.  It's a plant I want to add to the medicinal garden.

This will steep for 6 weeks and then I'll strain and add honey.  It is good for the common cold and general health.

As I added this jar to my collection, I realized that I may need to establish a cupboard area just for brewing infusions.  I have vanilla extract and meloncello in there now and will add another jar of limoncello shortly.  I just finished a batch of limoncello and like to start a new one after it's bottled so I don't run out and still have plenty to share.

It was so hot today I wilted.  Bex went to get sundae fixings from Baskin Robbins, which brought some sweet relief in the late afternoon.

After a late dinner, I opened everything up I could to try to cool the house down overnight.  It's supposed to be hot again tomorrow.

Our music project is almost ready!  I am hopeful we can share it tomorrow, so tonight feels like Christmas Eve. πŸŽ…πŸ€ΆπŸŽ…

We are well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment