Saturday, May 23, 2020

Friday - Day 67 - Grandma and More Washer Repair

Sleep was awful last night.  I woke up at 3:00 a.m.  Then made myself go back to sleep but woke an hour before the alarm.  When I looked at the graph in my sleep app, it shows I basically got an hour of sleep after the 3:30 a.m. wake-up, and barely any the rest of the night.  I was tired but got up anyway.

I ordered a gift for my grandmother just before Mother's Day.  It was my hope that she'd be able to receive it in time for that holiday but as with everything these days, sometimes it just takes a while to create custom gifts and get them shipped.  It was scheduled to arrive today, so I called her to let her know to expect it.  I couldn't put a card or note in the box, so I didn't want her to wonder where it came from.

I had such a good conversation with her.  She was 2 months old when her parents died in the 1918 flu epidemic, and I knew she didn't have memories of that time and what it was like, but I wondered if anyone had told her about what it was like.  She said no one really talked about it.  She knew a little bit but not much.  It was a sad, sad time.  She and her siblings were separated and raised by different families, but she became close to her sister as adults and her brother came to her graduation while he was enlisted in the Army.

She said she needs a haircut.  I suggested ponytails might be in order, and she thinks she might be able to pull that off now.

I'm trying not to worry about her, as she shared that they had their first (and hopefully only) case of COVID in the building she lives in.  The person is in another section of the building and they are keeping everyone in their rooms now and sanitizing regularly. 

It was good to talk with her and I look forward to more conversations.  I wish we didn't live so far apart and am grateful for the technology that allows us to talk.

Today the knob to my washing machine arrived, and I installed it.  I cannot believe that it's been broken for years and I never knew it was so easy to fix.  No more pliers to start a load of wash!

The rest of the day was work focused.  I had a good evening with Bex.  I am looking forward to more time to work on projects I want to work on for a while this weekend.

Also hoping for a good night's sleep.

We are well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment