Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sunday - Day 55 - Mother's Day

I missed seeing my parents and kids today.

The kids surprised me with a video chat this morning.  And with a gift Bex had hidden in her car.  They all pitched in to replace my dead VCR/DVD player!  Now I can begin transferring old VHS home movies again before the videocassettes all disintegrate.  It was great to be able to talk with them all at once and see the grandkids.  They spoiled me this morning long distance and brought more than a few tears to my eyes. 

I made another "depression cake" this morning, substituting some of the water with freshly squeezed orange juice.  I added two drops of sweet orange essential oil to the frosting.  I was impatient and started pouring the icing before the powdered sugar was completely incorporated, so I needed to slow down a bit and do it right for the second half.

Quincy said the kitchen smelled good - chocolate cake!  I told him I added orange to the cake and he thought that sounded like it could be good.  It took a second for that to sink in, and then I asked him if he'd ever had chocolate and orange together?  No.  He'd never heard of it.  No chocolate oranges at Christmas.  He is getting introduced now, though I found out later he's not a huge fan of chocolate so I'm not sure when he'll sample the cake.

I was able to talk with Mom and Dad today.  Dad called to ask if I'd gotten my mail yet.  I said no ... it's Sunday.  But apparently a surprise was delivered today, so I chatted with them on Bluetooth while I drove down to the mailbox to pick it up.  It's an awesome case to hold all my rechargeable (and not) batteries with a battery tester.  Perfect!  I can get rid of the baggies and guesswork on whether the batteries need recharging or not.

I check the bird nest one time every other day.  Mama still flies out of the shed when I exit the back door, and the eggs are there, and have been moved around in the nest.

The sourdough starter was fed today and is growing.  I am looking forward to learning how to bake with it.

Bex bought lunch today from KIN and picked it up.  I haven't had such a good pulled pork sandwich since Porter Street BBQ closed.  Soooo good.  And filling enough to make it dinner too.  Chocolate orange cake for dessert and American Idol with my youngest.  It's been a quiet, and good day.

We are well and abundantly loved.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment