Sunday, April 5, 2020

Third Saturday - Day 19

I got up early and ventured out into the dark so I could see if toilet paper would be available at our local grocery store at opening.  I pulled into a dark and nearly empty parking lot at five minutes before opening.  I intended to wait in the car until the doors were opened but then noticed a couple of people heading to the door to get carts and wait.  It took me two minutes to get my mask on and sanitized wipe in hand.  When I approached, we all nodded and exchanged greetings, six + feet apart.  The clerk opened the doors a minute early and stopped each of the two shoppers ahead of me so she could personally sanitize their carts before they entered the store.  She did the same for a small basket for me.  I headed to the paper aisle first and my heart sank as I rounded the corner and saw empty shelves.  But as I entered the aisle I spotted a lonely set of six-packs of mega rolls, about 5 in total with a sign that limited each customer to one.  Boy, was I grateful for that one pack of real TP.  

I quickly grabbed a couple of things I hadn't put on the order I submitted yesterday, and decided bagels and cream cheese would be a nice treat as well, so I added those.

Seeing so many gaps on store shelves - large sections of bread shelves, all the paper, much of the spices - empty or near empty increased my stress level and anxiety.  I can understand why people would hoard things because they're afraid they won't be able to find it later.  I struggled with the cumin.  Do I buy two so I have a back-up?  Pushing down the thoughts of OMG what is this world and are we ever going to get out of it?  

Signs at the register instruct customers to wait to place their items on the belt until they are told that they can by the clerk.  Signs on the floor indicate a six-foot place to stop.  There is a plexiglass shield between me and the clerk at the register and plastic covers the card machine.  The clerk enters my card number so I don't have to touch the key pad.  I pay her in cash.  The change is rounded up, so no coins.  We are careful not to accidentally touch as the money is passed back and forth.  I am grateful the store employees are there.

It started to sprinkle on my drive back and the smell of fresh rain on spring earth started to come through the car vents as the sky began to lighten.  I heard the turkeys gobbling as I got out to close the gate.

I wiped everything down I'd brought from the store and put it away.  (And washed my hands soon as I got home, before groceries, after groceries!)  I had thought I would go back to bed when I got back home, but I was wide awake.  I made a cup of coffee and picked up a project I'm behind on, enjoying the quiet of the morning and listening to other people's problems instead of my own.

In a conversation with a friend, I discovered he needs cloth masks to extend the life of N95 masks.  Nurses at his hospital are given only one a day.  I dove into learning how to make masks and set out to find supplies.  Joann Fabrics website was a mess - I kept having things go out of stock soon as I put them in my cart but then they were available and in stock again.  The store posted later they were having trouble with the website.  I drove to the store so I could pick up a free "Take and Make" kit but while their website said they would open at 11am, they didn't.  I called to find out about the kits and was told they are doing pick-up only.  She asked if I had ordered online and I explained why I couldn't.  She suggested I try again and come back and said it takes them several hours to complete orders.  When I told her I'd driven down from Healdsburg and was in the parking lot, she immediately asked a supervisor if they could give me one.  I was able to pick up a kit.

I got it home and disinfected and washed.  After more computer work, I knew I would have to work on the masks on Sunday when I can get the machine and ironing board out and set up a work area.  I was able to successfully order some fabric for pick-up and am just waiting for notice it is ready.  I expect that may be tomorrow.

Lily jumped the fence again this afternoon.

  
This is the big goat I let into Becca's room last week.  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ


I spent some time with Bex trying to catch up on Idol after dinner.  Now to get some sleep.

We are well and hope you are too.  Stay safe, wear your masks when going out, and wash your filthy hands. ✋๐Ÿงผ  ๐Ÿ˜Š

No comments:

Post a Comment