Saturday, June 6, 2020

Thank God It's Friday - Day 81 - The Good, the Bad, and the Scary

I woke up crazy early again but that allowed me to beat a deadline easily.

It was cold enough this morning that I shut all the windows I'd left open to cool the house because it felt like fall/winter territory.  I put a sweatshirt on before sitting at the computer.

It was an intense and sometimes disappointing work day.  I took a short break in the morning to start a sourdough bread recipe in the bread machine to see how it would turn out.  It surprised me how good it was!  True sourdough flavor in the oddly shaped huge loaf that comes out of those machines.  Not too bad.

I was grateful it wasn't too hot today, though it did get a little warm indoors when the afternoon hit.  The good thing about bread machine baking is that it doesn't heat up the house.  No muss, no fuss, no oven, and really no clean-up except for a couple measuring devices used and the pan when you're done.  I have discovered the joy of baking by weighing ingredients instead of measuring them, so fewer measuring cups.  Fascinating and easy.

Lily got out again and came to the door for her late afternoon snack.

I got a call from Jess this evening.  She said not to panic but she wanted to let me know that a vegetation fire had shown up on PulsePoint in my area.  Not too close, but too damn close.  I got on the phone with Jon and he listened to the scanner with me while I packed.  Bex and Q started packing their things too.  What was helpful and sad is that Bex and I have a lot of things still packed from last year's evacuation.  We just needed to add a few things to it and then deal with the rest of the stuff we use regularly.  All of my most important memorabilia and photos, with the exception of the canvas portraits I posted on Facebook today, are still in a box from last year.  Work equipment, music gear, and animals is all we have left to pack.

We went outside to see if we could see or smell smoke, but could not see or smell anything.  Bex and I did see the gorgeous yellow full moon and we heard something in the bushes, so we got right back inside.

When I discovered that it was two spot fires near the roadway and they'd been put out, Bex and I cried.  The stress and anxiety we are already dealing with, and the nightmare we went through last year coming back up is hard.  Jess got her gear packed and by the door as well.  Because we all know that you never know, and it's time to get ready.  Which fucking sucks.

I have a mental list of what I need to do tomorrow to prepare further.  I'm actually grateful for the possibility of a little rain this weekend.  Keep that vegetation moist.

We are well.  I hope you are too.


No comments:

Post a Comment