Sunday, October 4, 2020

Saturday - COVID201 and FIRE45

I woke up to Jess calling to let me know she would be at my place soon to work on the trailer.  Oops.  When she found out I'd just woken up, she said she'd delay a bit so I had time for some coffee and chores before she, Cory, and Leina arrived.  

We made good progress on the trailer as the day got warmer and then hotter.  Cory went home to get a tool and Jess and I headed out to get sandwiches.  By the time we got back with food, we agreed it was getting too hot to finish today but then when we were done, wanted to keep going.

However, we realized the grinder and chain saw that we needed to use would throw sparks.  Even though I had water in buckets nearby and hoses, it was too much of a risk that it could start a fire.  We hooked up the trailer to my car and got ready to take it to Jessi's house to finish up there.

When I came outside ready to go, the wind had picked up and a huge gust ran through blowing leaves and my hair all over.  A feeling of panic hit me and I froze.  After some discussion, and some tears on my part, we agreed that Cory would hook the trailer up and take it down and I would stay at the house because of the increased fire danger.  I felt awful about not working on it more but knew that I wouldn't be able to calm my mind thinking about the animals at home that I might not be able to get to.

I put a few things back in the car and watched the fire notifications come in and be addressed.  

At about 9:15 p.m., not long after two fires had started north of me, I heard a helicopter fly by.  And then again.  So I looked at the radar and noticed it was circling my house.  I went outside to see if they were using the searchlight or trying to get a message to us.  It was hard to see the 'copter in the dark and there was no searchlight.  After a phone call and texting with my neighbor while the 'copter circled for about 15 minutes and at least a dozen circles, we figured out it was Henry 1, the Sheriff's helicopter.  I called the nonemergency number to inquire about why they were there - because I'd see the circles it had made just previous to this above the new fires and the Glass Fire.  I was told they were just checking for flares and hot spots. 

There's nothing like a helicopter doing donuts to keep you up at night.

Bex and I tried to ease our worry by watching a show and then went to bed late again.

It's a little nerve-wracking here at times but we are safe and well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment