Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Wednesday - COVID170 and FIRE15

It was a jam-packed day.

I tossed and turned last night and had a hard time reaching my alarm when I woke up because I had to roll over to get it from the far side of the bed.  It's good to be home and in my own bed but normal takes getting used to again after two weeks away.

Work was intense and was packed in around other happenings on the farm.

Tammy and Emily came up to greet the goats and chickens when they came home.  They were happy to get out of the trailer and their crates.  

Photo courtesy of Tammy

Yellow clucked like a happy hen as soon as he started walking around the coop.  He was especially happy when Emily fed him mealworms.

One of the hens has "water belly," which I looked up for more information.  It's typically a disorder in older or meat hens but can be brought on by stress.  It's incurable and the only thing to do is drain fluid, which keeps coming back so more drainage.  She will be uncomfortable, and looks uncomfortable now.  I found out my vet will also take care of my chickens, so I'm going to bring Barni in as well as the Americaunas tomorrow.  If we're right and Barni has water belly, I am going to allow her to go humanely so she does not suffer more.  I am hoping the vet will have answers about why the Americaunas have not been laying and also hope it is not bad news.

I found the leak and it was a gusher.  The workers arrived around 3pm to begin moving logs off of it and clear blackberry bushes and dig the hole so they could repair it.  By 7pm I had running water again at full pressure.  What a relief!

Bex and Ollie will return tomorrow.  It will be nice to have that cat back, and I'm sure he will be happy to be home.  He has literally almost been climbing the walls, staying indoors for over two weeks now.

Bex came home to pick up a couple things for tonight and brought me dinner - including a peach-basil margarita from El Gallo Negro.  The perfect way to end a long day.

It's been a long day and I still have worries for tomorrow.  Not sure how I will load three out of five chickens into a carrier by myself but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

We are safe and well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment