Monday, September 28, 2020

Monday - COVID196 and FIRE40

Bex woke me at about 8am as I'd requested.  I wanted to go back to sleep so bad but had to pee, and by the time I did that and fed the little animals, there was no going back to sleep.

The Shady Fire still roars on and further evacuations were ordered in the four hours I slept as it gets closer to Santa Rosa proper.  The horizon was blanketed in dark smoke and the sky was brown, sun orange.

The day was intense, both with work and with watching the fire.  Finally late in the day, Bex and I drove to town together to pick up a pizza for dinner and it felt good to both of us to drive and listen to music and not think constantly about the fire and threat of fire and past fire experiences.

I had a chance to talk to my parents and to Tam today.

The air cleared when we went out and I actually smelled skunk when we did chores.  But within an hour or two, the air turned smoky again and I needed to close the window that was letting cool air into the 80-degree-house.  I heard a helicopter overhead but because the radar app I use is down, I couldn't see what it was or where it was heading.  I had to let that go.  Maybe it was REACH on its way to help someone in need.  

So we scan the maps again before bed and stay packed and ready to go and hope to get some rest tonight.  It's hard to be sleepy but not want to sleep.

With all that is going on, we are safe and well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment