Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Tuesday - COVID197 and FIRE41

I got up on time and got plenty of work done today.  Bex went to a friend's house.  About the time I was thinking of checking in with her on when she planned to come home, I got a PulsePoint notification of a vegetation fire nearby.  I sat up, turned off the TV, and got busy.  Below is what I posted on Facebook after I had a chance to settle down.


9:11 p.m. I get a PulsePoint notification. Vegetation fire at Sweetwater Springs Road. I look at the map. It's too close. I start packing. I call Becca, who is at a friend's house in Santa Rosa, and she starts heading home.
9:14 p.m. I'm on the phone with Tammy and have texted
Jessica
.
9:24 p.m. I remember to call my landlady/neighbor to let her know.
9:30 to 9:40 p.m. I'm packing. Becca arrives and she packs her car. I talk to Jess and to Tammy and we finally figure out that it is a smoldering log in the Walbridge contained burn area about 2-3 miles from my house. Tammy and Jess had all of their resources at their fingertips - maps and cameras and solid sources of information. They were a lifeline while I got everything ready. By the time we had that info, absolutely everything was packed in the car and I had laid this out on the counter for my final note to first responders letting them know the time that I evacuated. All that needed to be loaded in the cars were animals.
Sarah Stierch said it best on Twitter:
MT JACKSON #WALBRIDGEFIRE UPDATE - it's a smoldering log. They'll be taking care of it. Not too worried. Going to start a hashtag: #WalbridgeTheFireThatWillNeverEnd
Then she said when all of this is over she wants to start a punk band called Mt. Jackson and the Repeaters.
I am emotionally spent. I am so fucking ready it is ridiculous. And when the trailer's done, we will be real pros at this stupid stupid thing that we have to do.
But we are safe. And more prepared than ever. All I could muster the energy to do was bring in my crocheting bag for the night. I'll sleep in my clothes. Again.


So I'm pretty pooped at this point. And yes, I'll sleep in my clothes tonight. And Oliver the cat thinks he's going to die because I packed his food dish. He'll survive.

We are safe and well and prepared. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment