Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Monday - COVID whatever and FIREwhatever and EVAC1.1

 Geez what a day.

It was still hot when I woke up. I was able to cool the house a little but not much.  The temps were climbing at a ridiculous rate as I shut down the house and knew this was going to be an uncomfortable day.

The thermometer at the back of the house read 118 when Bex and I left at 2:30 to run errands in the air conditioned car.  We got back and it was 97 degrees inside the house.  115 outside. We sat and sweated and watched a movie.

I talked to my boss around 8pm and my neighbor and I were texting because she could see a flare-up of the Walbridge fire behind the house. After I got off the phone, I walked to the front of the house and could see red sky between the trees, and it was not the sunset.  We agreed it didn't look good and started packing.  I turned on the scanner in my bluetooth and the first thing I heard was "I'm issuing an evacuation for Sweetwater Springs and Westside."

I kicked into gear and so did Bex.  I called Tam and Jess and they started heading toward me.  We started putting things into the cars and calling for the cat.  I called about animal evac and left a message.  Bex went outside at about 9:15 with a load for the car and she called out to me, "Mom.  There's a helicopter and they're talking to us."  I went outside to hear commands that we were to leave immediately.  We finished loading the car and found Oliver, who had been cooling down in a secluded spot outside.  Jess called and said she could see flames from where she was on the freeway, to open the coop and barn, and GO NOW.  Bex was in tears as we did so, and I broke down in the car.  The goats came to the driveway as Becca was turning around to follow me out.  

I called Flat Broke again to leave an updated message and was able to talk to Erica. She reassured me that we did what we needed to.  When you have a helicopter telling you to get out now, you do so.

I told Jess we were on our way out, and everyone convened at Jessica's house.  In the meantime, Amanda had contacted my parents and Sonoma CART to arrange evacuation for the animals.  Within an hour, I was letting them know how to find the animals and I got word they had all been loaded up safely and were on their way to the fairgrounds.

It was after 1am before I calmed down enough to get to Tammy's.  I've been home less than a week, and now this.  Lots of plans are being made for the future.  I can't keep doing this.

We got out, firefighters are all over this, and I saw tons of trucks headed the other direction as I left  I'm hopeful but resigned and tired.  There are things I remembered this time and things I forgot.  Luckily, not everything got unpacked.  I knew we shouldn't.

We are safe and well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment