Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Monday - COVID168 and EVAC13

I am wishing for that awesome night's sleep from a few days ago. I wasn't as achy this morning.  The smoke outside was pretty bad this morning.

After doing some work, Tam and I headed out for an afternoon of errands.  We stopped by Home Depot to get more blocks for the fruit press, then dropped off the press to Jessica so she can use it to process pomegranates.  We went to the post office, but I turned on my heel inside and decided to go later because there was a line of about 12 inside, with a cluster of a family at the desk.  It was going to take too long and there were too many people in one room for me to feel comfortable.

We headed out to my place to see how things looked.  The road was clear with little traffic.  Bonus:  No Bicycles!  It had been smokey all morning and while the air was better outside of Healdsburg, it was still pretty bad.  The house looks good.  There are burned leaves and ash all over.  The house smells slightly of smoke but not much because I had left windows open.  I left them open still to air out.  The wading pool in the back was filled with ash and gunk but the garden looked better than I expected.  Peppers and tomatoes are thriving, and I think the basil and indigo will recover, though they were in poor shape.  The mint in the pot died but the mint that had grown up on the ground was thriving.  Many of my seedlings in the greenhouse were wilted.  The lemon tree took five steps back after my babying it the last year but it will recover.  The wisteria looked sad for the first time ever.  Tammy gathered tomatoes and jalapenos and I watered the garden well, then we collected the dried indigo leaves.  I hope they will still be useful.

The fridge is full of spoiled food after almost two weeks away, and the produce in the kitchen had spoiled.  There will be some clean-up to do tomorrow and I'll need to prepare for the animals to return on Wednesday.  My mail was delivered and I asked Bex to pick it up, but it wasn't there when she arrived.  My neighbor had picked it up for me since she hadn't seen any activity at our place, and I'll get it from her tomorrow.  I still need to get the mail that has been held at the post office.

We finished Yellowstone last night with a humongous cliffhanger that we have to wait a year to see resolved.

We are safe and well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment