Friday, February 5, 2021

Friday - COVID328

The morning started off on time and busy from the beginning.  I had a challenge with work technicalities and missed a (minor) deadline through no fault of my own.  While I was on hold at the clerk's office, the clerk I was calling for was trying to reach me at the office number.  Where no one was.  It wasn't a big deal overall and a solid learning experience.

The rest of the day was super busy and it's taking a toll this week.  I have lost track of days and my boss had to remind me that tomorrow's Saturday when I said I would call the clerk tomorrow.

Moonshine escaped this morning.  We suspected a coyote in the area again because he basically came to the door and then led me back to the pen.  He wasn't interested in food and it seemed to be communication.  Salsa was vocal and calling constantly.  Bex and I located our emergency radio, which was broken, and then I found the transistor that I use to keep predators away from the goats when we're not home.  I had packed it for evacuation and it was still in a bag in the car.  Yes, there are still some bags in the car from last fire season.  I turned the radio on and Salsa's anxiety seemed to lessen gradually.  

After tucking the goats into the barn, I headed to town to pick up something from the store.  On the way there, Bex called to tell me that she had been out back when she heard the chickens hollering.  She went to check and saw a coyote near the run.  When she came outside, it ran down the hill about 15 feet and stayed behind some tree branches watching her.  She yelled at it and brandished a rake about and above her head and it didn't budge.  Bex got the chickens inside the coop early and closed the door to increase their protection.  I've put the query out to locals about what they do to discourage coyotes.  The coyotes' presence continues in daylight and near the house.  Because Bex said this one was smaller than the one we've spotted, I suspect it is a breeding pair.  I don't want cubs being born in the blackberry bushes.  I'll be putting wolf urine out tomorrow, the little bit that I have left, and hope that it sends them to another location.  Getting an expert in to assess and assist with the project would cost hundreds of dollars just for the assessment, so I'm going to continue to educate myself and do the best I can.

I'm up a little later than I planned.  I have a Zoom training in the morning for my CART volunteer work.  I'm sad to miss a sleep-in day but looking forward to training.

We are safe and well.  I hope you are too.


No comments:

Post a Comment