Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Monday and Tuesday - COVID289 and 290

Monday night I fell asleep on the couch and was too groggy to write when I got up.  It was a work day normal day except that I discovered an issue under the house. A wet board had separated from the house holding a breaker box. I notified landlady and she came down to take a look.  I'd propped it up with a 2x4 and she made arrangements for the handyman to come by the next day.

That night I noticed that Luna was limping pretty badly.  She's had a slight limp for a while but typically the goats shake it off.  But she's been struggling to eat for a while and this time what she did to her leg wasn't getting shaken off.  I decided if she was no better in the morning to make a trip to the vet.

So that's what I did this morning because she was not any better, and in fact was worse.  She was shivering in the barn and it took her a long time to walk to the pen, encouraged by treats of oak leaves.  I made arrangements to bring her down to the large animal vet in Cotati this morning.  Bex and I had a hard time getting her into the car.  We couldn't lift her without hurting her, and so we created a makeshift ramp and helped ease her up it into the back of the Equinox.  I had contemplated the trailer but did not want to put her in there alone and in pain, preferring to have her near me.  She laid down in the back after a while but then got up again, seeming to prefer standing, no matter how difficult.  At one point she talked to me for a while and then started pawing at the tarp beneath her.

I checked in at the office and then backed up to the barn.  The vet examined her in the back of the Equinox and was surprised at how old she was - 12 coming up in February.  We discussed what was going on with her and the obvious fact she was in pain, not only from the injury but from the difficulties she was having with eating and the bloat that keeps coming back.  He said there was really nothing he could do to make her comfortable or healthy again.  I trimmed her beard to save and was near her when she passed, which was quick.  

As I was trimming Luna's beard and the vet prepared the injection, he asked if I would take her with me or if I wanted them to take care of her.  I asked if they cremated and he said no.  I was surprised and wondered if my vet in Windsor would take her for cremation and he said he didn't know.  He asked one of the gals in the office to give me phone numbers of people I could contact.  After Luna was gone, I stroked her neck again before gently closing the tailgate and moving the car away from the barn.  I tearfully talked to Tammy and she called my vet in Windsor while I called the closest location in Sebastopol.  We compared notes.  Windsor would do it but had no room to take her; Sebastopol could do it.  The only other options were to wait for another company to pick her up or to drive her to Napa, so Sebastopol it was.

I cried my way to the pet cemetery and to the people who would take Luna from me for cremation.  They were quirky but kind and I felt like she was in good hands.  I expect to be able to pick up her ashes tomorrow.  

Luna's registered name is Tranquilium, as in the Sea of on the moon.  She was always the tranquil, gentle one, standing in the back and not as pushy for attention.  She loved blackberry leaves and oak leaves and to nibble the acorns that fell on the ground in late summer.  She loved scratches and treats.  I'll miss her.

All I wanted to do was to go back to Cotati and have a socially distanced cry and cup of tea or coffee with Tamily but I needed to get back in the house in time for the repairs.  I was able to talk with Tammy and with Mandi and Bex on the drive home and get a big long hug from Bex.

I worked as best I could while the repairs were being done and our handyman did a good job securing the breaker box and covering the area.  I'll seal it to prevent rain from getting in again.

Jess and Cory came up in the evening to look at Bex's car.  The same issue is happening that was supposedly corrected by the mechanic she took it to earlier this year.  Cory got it started and thinks he knows what the problem is and how to fix it.  We're hoping it will be an easy fix by him.  If not, we are exploring other mechanics.  The one we took it to seems to be good for oil changes and fixing what is clear needs fixing, such as brakes, and what the computer tells him is wrong, but doesn't have the ability to suss out a problem when the check engine light isn't coming on.  The car isn't throwing codes, just symptoms.

I fell asleep on the couch again early but was able to wake up enough to write out the day's events.  It's been a rough one.  I'm hoping for a good night's sleep.

We're a little ragged today but safe and well.  I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment