Monday, March 23, 2020

Sunday/Monday

It's hard to keep track of the days as they lag so, and overwhelming stress is blunting my memory and some of my ability to write and share information.  I feel like I am on overload and am trying to back away from news in large blocks of time.

However, this crisis is always present in my mind, even when watching television shows.  I see people greeting each other with handshakes and hugs and find myself wondering why they aren't staying apart.

I ordered some groceries to be delivered to Jessica's house in Windsor yesterday.  I received a text three hours before my delivery window saying it was ready early and wondering if I was available.  I responded yes and headed down to pick it up.  When I arrived, it was on Jessica's doorstep.  I picked up the bags and set down Jessica's gift by the doorway.  I went to the end of the sidewalk while she came to the door to open it.  It felt so good to see her happiness at the gift and so hard not to be able to hug her or stay to talk.  Neither of us can share what the gift is yet because her sister will receive one in a week.

I am so bad at that.  But this works for both of them so well.

It was tostadas last night using leftovers for a couple days ago.  I am doing much better at staying on top of our supplies and not letting anything go to waste.  We are almost out of flour tortillas, which we have been using as part of breakfast.  My options are to keep an eye out for more from the stores or to learn how to make my own.  Bex wants to make bagels.  I haven't done that in nearly 10 years. 

Bread aisles are apparently slim pickings, and Jess could not get flour or yeast in her delivery yesterday.  It appears everyone is going back to scratch as premade becomes unavailable.  This trend is fascinating to watch and I wonder how much of it will stay permanently after the crisis is over - slowing down, taking the time to make healthier food from scratch.  "They" say you can eat most anything if you make it yourself.  Not only do you make less, but you are using better ingredients, and expending some calories in the process and are less likely to overeat.  Fries are not easy to make so you won't be eating them every day.

My schedule is out of whack.  I can't sleep so end up finally falling asleep in the wee hours.  I was able to get up on time today to be ready for our office phone conference.  Hours will be limited but I will do what I can from here. 

I had high hopes for dinner but have spent too much time on the computer today, with work and all, so am not sure what it will turn out to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment