Sunday, March 22, 2020

Saturday the 21st

As it often happens, when your access to resources becomes limited, you need things.

On Friday the 13th a bump developed on the top of my right hand above the wrist and in between my pinky and ring finger bones in my hand.  It was painful, like a cramp, and the pain radiated out to the edge of my hand.  It flared up with movement of those two fingers or my wrist.  It was impossible to get anything out of my right pocket.  The lump grew and by Monday was swollen across half the top of my hand.  I could barely type.  Thank goodness there's not a lot that needs those two fingers and most returns are automatic.  I checked to see if I could get a phone appointment with my doctor but she was out until the 22nd.  I decided to alternate ice and heat and to break down and actually take pain medication - Tylenol.

By yesterday afternoon, the 21st, it became manageable.  Not as much pain but still there faintly from time to time. I still have no idea why it hurts or what is causing it but am grateful for some relief.

Then, my sink started to back up.  Friday the 13th again if I remember correctly.  What a day, eh?  This is a routine occurrence.  There's a flat spot in the pipes that grabs every little speck of grease it can find, though I put NOTHING down the disposal and am careful about what goes down the drain.  After 12-18 months, it slows and I see the water rise in the sink and know it's time for it's routine clearing.  But this time it's not so routine, is it?  By the time Sonoma County issues the shelter in place, I know that I better ask now or I won't be able to get any service soon.  When I call, the owner sounds overwhelmed and frustrated but - as always - he is helpful and kind and does the very best he can.  He says he'll try to get someone out Friday.  He calls Friday and offers Saturday morning.  I am amazed they're working Saturday.

After he finishes dismantling the shelf I have under the sink that I couldn't (because my hand is all screwed up!), I tell him I won't hover and will go out and take care of the chickens.  He asks how many chickens I have, and I tell him 4 hens and a rooster. He tells me his mom has 180 (I think - definitely over 100) and a smaller number of roosters.  Thus we begin our conversation and I don't take care of my chickens until after seeing him to his truck.

He was a lovely, lovely person.  We chatted as he worked 2about "prepping," his parents, chickens, goats, cows, guinea hens, bees, peacocks, his lovely little family and baby girl, camping, all the while maintaining appropriate distance, me letting him know I had spritzed everything with alcohol that he would touch and wiped it down in preparation for his visit. (I did it again after he departed.) As he got into his truck to leave, I wished that I could invite his little family over so his daughter could play and we could all talk more. Most people are good and I've been blessed to be in contact with lots this week.

In between the typing I need to do until my hand needs a break, I started a batch of chili and tag-teamed with Bex while she made breakfast for us.  The chili was sooo good after cooking in the crockpot all day.  Warm, filling, comfort food with a little bit of garlic bread and homemade limoncello.  As we ate, Bex suggested we could use some of the leftovers for chili dogs later, which is great because I happened to think to get hot dogs in my grocery delivery order.

I am aware every day that as much as I feel I am on a precipice and am scared for what the future may hold, we are very, very lucky.  We have a roof to shelter from the downpour that is thundering outside as I type this Sunday evening.  We have food to keep us going.  We have resources many do not.  And a family that, while distant, is inspiring every single day.

 We are still well and hope you are too.  Stay inside, respect those 6-foot boundaries, get sleep, and stay hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment