Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Weekend

Woo-hoo!  I woke up excited Saturday morning for our venture out to Sebastopol.  This isn't going to sound like a big deal to some, but I don't really get out for fun often, and this trip is right up my alley.

Redwood Hills Farm is a local goat dairy that produces amazing cheese.  Our LaMancha goat, Lily, is out of one of their sires, and they have a well-deserved reputation for excellent animals.  In addition, they were the first dairy in California to be certified humane - not something they even had to work at; it comes naturally.  I had heard earlier this year that they have added a camel and are experimenting with kefir and what other things can be made from camel's milk.  They were having an open house this weekend, and I was super excited to be able to go to the farm for the first time!  We invited Sophie to join us, and left early to pick her up and head out into the Sebastopol countryside, taking back roads through Forestville.

As the road narrowed to one lane, I was beginning to wonder if we were in the right place.  There were also no other vehicles on the road.  Had we stumbled onto a private drive?  Then, rounding a corner we saw cars coming from the other direction turning at signs directing us to parking at the farm.  Hurrah!  We'd made it.

We got out among the chickens wandering about and headed over to the barnyard.  The first thing we saw were the kids.  I immediately regretted not having bred Lily this year, because there's just something so RIGHT about having goat kids around in the springtime.






We had a great time hanging out in the kid pens, where the babies wanted lots of attention and petting - which we were happy to provide!




We also saw the nests of what I think might be barn swallows.  Whatever they are, I'd much prefer to have these under my eaves than the yellowjackets!



We sampled cheese, and bought some, along with some delicious kefir.  After wandering through the milk barns and looking at packets of a lotion-making kit, I finally asked someone about the ... camel.  Much to my chagrin, she said that she hadn't seen one, except on Facebook.  Suddenly I realized that it might have been posted on April 1st.  I checked when I got home, and sure enough, I got duped!  Boy, do I feel foolish!  I am usually very aware of the potential for these things on that day, but I guess it made sense (milk/dairy products) AND I didn't expect it from Redwood Hills Farm!  They fooled me; so sorry, no camel pictures today!

Sophie surprised me with a rose plant as a Mother's Day gift, and we picked up a begonia seedling from Redwood Hills, so I have a couple more enjoyable things to plant.  Becca and I relaxed for the rest of the day, and fell asleep on the couches while watching television,.  Lots of fun, sun and fresh air makes us tired!

Mother's day dawned cold and overcast, surprising me with its chill.  After chores, I was working in the kitchen when I heard Zeus start crowing.  Then I heard Imbri reply.  They were doing it again!  I went out to video the goats in the hope that I could catch the conversation.


You'll hear Zeus crow twice within the first 30 seconds of this short video, with Imbri, the mama goat, responding.  The rest of the video was waiting in vain for them to do it again, but you can see Imbri moving in Zeus' direction, waiting for him.  It's so fun to watch and hear this interaction.

When we left the house, we surprised a mama turkey and her babies on the driveway.  We stopped and I allowed Becca to see if she could catch one.  I should know better.  I told her once that if she could catch a lizard she could keep it, not believing she'd be able to do so, but she did.  Here's a picture of the cute little turkey chick (are they called chicks?).


Isn't it just adorable?!  She quickly returned it, and then ran because Mama Turkey came running at her with wings spread and flapping!

Bex and I met up with her older sisters for some coffee and a walk through the farmers market.  We had a great time "window" shopping and wishing we had more cash with us.  It's always such a great way to start a Sunday.  We then car pooled down to my parents' home to spend more time with family and honor my mom.  We had a wonderful visit and headed home so we were back just before dark.  Perfect timing. 

Overall, it was a great weekend and a special Mother's Day.  I am so blessed to have such wonderful children in my life.  They teach me so much, and help me lighten up and laugh in the process.  What great human beings they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment